John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 21, 2024, 03:40:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Pacman RAM error  (Read 1909 times)
deadite

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:06:53 pm »

I have a Super Pacman that is showing RAM errors. I have checked the voltages, and they are 5.04 Volts on the RAM chips. At first I was getting a RAM 7 error, so I replaced the 2114 RAM at the 2D location. Then I was getting a RAM 5 error, so I replaced the 2148 RAM at the 3K location. Now I am getting a RAM 7 error most of the time and a RAM 5 error some of the time. I also found that one of the ROM chips was corrupted. So I erased it and reprogrammed it. That did not help with the RAM error. I am now at a loss, does anyone have a suggestion of what I could try next? Thank you in advance.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »

I have a Super Pacman that is showing RAM errors. I have checked the voltages, and they are 5.04 Volts on the RAM chips. At first I was getting a RAM 7 error, so I replaced the 2114 RAM at the 2D location. Then I was getting a RAM 5 error, so I replaced the 2148 RAM at the 3K location. Now I am getting a RAM 7 error most of the time and a RAM 5 error some of the time. I also found that one of the ROM chips was corrupted. So I erased it and reprogrammed it. That did not help with the RAM error. I am now at a loss, does anyone have a suggestion of what I could try next? Thank you in advance.

Examine the board traces and sockets
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:00:04 pm »

check the addressing lines. Sounds like a latch is bad. I dont know this board well enough to tell you exactly what to check but look at the schematic and check traces and chips in the address path.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
deadite

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:54 pm »

Thank you for the reply. I did find one bad trace, so I jumped it. Still getting an error. I will continue to look for more.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:41:02 pm »

Double check traces and most likely replace the SRAM chip. They go bad often.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: