John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 29, 2024, 07:28:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer clean up/repair  (Read 1608 times)
Shooter

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »

Hey guys, I've got a transformer on an 84 space shuttle that needs some help.  Waiting on some parts so I thought I would get the inside of the cabinet cleaned out.   As I was cleaning I started taking a good look at the transformer and I'm now afraid to even power the machine up with this thing.   

To start with, someone cut the connector off the end of the dozen or so wires coming off it.   And the top metal band on the thing is pretty rusted.  There's tons of dirt and grime all over it too. 

Anyways, has anyone ever gone through one of these and basically got it looking and working like now?  If so, what was your process?   I would like to throw up a pic but I'm not sure how to do it on these forums.  Trust me, this thing looks nasty!   And I'm guessing I'll just have to find out what kind of connector goes on there, order one up and do some labor getting the wires back in place.

Also, I've heard these things almost never go bad, and I saw some online for over $100 so I'm not really keen on buying a new one.   Especially after dishing out $250 for a new mpu for this machine.

Any help is appreciated guys.  I've never worked on one before, so I'm going in this blind. 
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:31:59 pm »

Hey guys, I've got a transformer on an 84 space shuttle that needs some help.  Waiting on some parts so I thought I would get the inside of the cabinet cleaned out.   As I was cleaning I started taking a good look at the transformer and I'm now afraid to even power the machine up with this thing.   

To start with, someone cut the connector off the end of the dozen or so wires coming off it.   And the top metal band on the thing is pretty rusted.  There's tons of dirt and grime all over it too. 

Anyways, has anyone ever gone through one of these and basically got it looking and working like now?  If so, what was your process?   I would like to throw up a pic but I'm not sure how to do it on these forums.  Trust me, this thing looks nasty!   And I'm guessing I'll just have to find out what kind of connector goes on there, order one up and do some labor getting the wires back in place.

Also, I've heard these things almost never go bad, and I saw some online for over $100 so I'm not really keen on buying a new one.   Especially after dishing out $250 for a new mpu for this machine.

Any help is appreciated guys.  I've never worked on one before, so I'm going in this blind. 

Shooter, guys take the transformer assembles apart all the time and clean and restore them. I wouldn't worry too much about dust and shit, usually doesn't affect how it works. If anything, blow some air on there.

If you are super worried, I would find the manual and figure out what voltages need to be coming out of the transformer and test it with the boards disconnected.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:45:20 am »

yeah the air is your best bet.. then pour white vinagar all on it to stop the rust and clean it up.
Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:56:05 am »

Thanks guys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: