John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 29, 2024, 12:15:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best TV to convert to arcade monitor?  (Read 3390 times)
DoktorP

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:43:25 pm »

I have been working on a custom Street Fighter 5 cab, and what I was going to end up using for the display was put on a back burner until the game actually came out.  However, since it was announced. finally. a few weeks ago, I've been playing with my options.  I don't really care for the way LCDs look, too bright, etc.  So, I was playing with the idea of using a 25"-32" tube TV.  I know the flat screen SONY trinitron TVs are traditionally the easiest, but they are impossible to come by now without a broken tube.  Any suggestions would be awesome.  Thanks!
EDD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:25:56 pm »

A sony rgb monitor is probably your best bet. I put a RCA 27" flatscreen crt in my mame cabinet rgb to dvi to pc and it looks great.
DoktorP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »

Sweet, I'll keep my eyes peeled... I do have a Sanyo 32 flat tube kicking around. Shouldn't be too hard to convert, although it only has composite inputs.  Not sure if I can convert to DVI or HDMI without a scaler/down converter?
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:21:31 pm »

+1 to Sony, and if you can get one B&O also.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »

lcd might be ok as everything is HDMI now.  In fact that's what the new candy cabs are using...
DoktorP

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:55:01 pm »

Welp, problem solved, just checked craigslist and snagged a 32" Trinitron for $25.  Bouya!  (Pics of build coming real soon.)
EDD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 04:38:48 pm »

Nice good luck with it. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: