John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:31:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr Sound Too Loud  (Read 2616 times)
biker4Christ

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »

The sound volume on my DK Jr. has recently gotten painfully loud. I tried using the sound pot to turn it down, but it will only go up. Ouch!

Is the amp going bad? If so, where is it and how do I replace it? I watched a video of someone diagnosing a problem on a DK machine, but theirs had a daughter board that mine doesn't have.

Thanks,
Brian
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:01:03 am »

the daughter board is probably a high score save kit

As far as your sound is concerned, your sound pot might be going bad or is just dirty. Try turning it fully both directions a few times and then trying to adjust the volume.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:22:51 pm »

The Dk Jr. I recently picked up has this same problem. I never would have believed how loud these things can get! In my case, as Ian mentioned, the pot seems to be going bad. It's very touchy and will turn down a little bit, but it doesn't take much to set it back to jet aircraft decibel levels!

Bob Roberts sells the part if you want to replace it and it's cheap. I got the audio board kit with the cap kit for the 20EZ so I'm replacing everything anyway. Wanting to get that done this weekend and get playing! 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: