John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 28, 2024, 11:18:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arcade game reality check  (Read 3071 times)
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:59:11 am »

The price of certain games is getting absolutely insane. Guy on klov wants $2k for an unrestored mad planets and people think thats a good price
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=308729

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Jack Burton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:25 am »

I'd love to see an analysis on arcade game prices. Original MSRP and value over time (including inflation). What would cause an arcade game to appreciate in value? I know there are some rare ones out there. But most arcade games cannot claim to be 100% original (as the operators likely have modified or changed something about the arcade in a material way over time). Right? Or maybe I'm wrong.

-------
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:50 am »

Well considering these games use to cost like $2-4K back in the 80's it was very expensive to purchase one new in box.
As for why games are appreciating in value. lots of reasons. Rarity probably being a lesser reason. More people in the hobby with more money means they can still afford the games when they are priced high. A lot of games are getting rediscovered which is driving up the cost. Games like mad planets just a few years ago was an unknown and underappreciated game. You probably could have bought it for under $600 easily even though it was a rare game. Games like Tapper and tron are up in value because of recent interest such as movies. Major havoc and warlords cocktail were both pretty shit games in terms of collecting 10 years ago. I believe i saw posts where people were trying to sell a warlords cocktail for $150 and it took a while to even sell it. Now they fetch above $1k.

It really just comes down to more people, more money and more interest. As for pinball, I have no fucking clue why that is being retarded.

pimppride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »

my thoughts on the subject : well I think you just have different people with different mind sets, its all a matter of how bad you want it... as each day, month, year goes by, these games will get harder to find

I've had a 1977 super bug in the garage for over 20 years ( non working ) then in the past year got the urge to finally pull the trigger on two more arcades, one of them being UDOT which is up there on the high price scale right now...

after missing out on 4 EDOT due to different reasons ( trying to be frugal, outbid and finally beat to the chase... ) I said f*** it an settled for now on a UDOT an paid what some would shit or some have into a whole collection of games...

does that make me stupid ? some would say yes, does that make me a rich guy with expendable cash? no not really, it was just something I wanted an I wanted it bad enough an made it happen, its worth every penny to me and will never be resold,

my motto for these games is do what makes you happy and with that you can't go wrong...
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:06:42 pm »

I dont think you are stupid for paying what the going rate is. I just think its getting stupid for price in comparison what it has been.

lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »

The going rate for some titles is absolutely insane, it really makes you stop and think when the prices of some games are worth more than a used car
There are three types of people I see responsible for driving up costs, and they are

1.Retailers, these guys think everything they have is worth several grand, and often people will look at these price lists and say "hey if he's getting that much..."
2.Newbies, I can't fault their enthusiasm heck, I am even guilty of paying too much for my first game and I think everybody does it, but often those high prices people are willing to pay at first just stick
3.Guys with more money than sense. we are talking about number 1's customer, the dude with enormous wads of cash who doesn't care about saving money, he just wants it now, and isn't interested in how they work. These guys aren't usually aren't long term collectors they just enjoy it temporarily until the games break and then they dump them.

Many of us will have to make the decision at some point, to either pay the high going rate for games, wait for a cheap fixer upper, or skip some of the games we want.
I think for the most part I fall into the middle category, I'm patient because in my experience you will run across games at a good prices most of the time, if you aren't in a hurry.
And there will always be guys getting out of the hobby (loss of interest, space, money, death, wives, ETC.) most games will come around again and again.
But that said, I don't judge anybody for paying out for that one game they really want, I know my day is coming soon too (I'm looking at you Tron, Addams Family...sigh)
Yes, eventually the supply will dwindle and prices will go up, but in my opinion it's too soon for at least the most common games to be doing this yet
just a few years ago Q*bert was pretty cheap, now it commands disgustingly high prices (damn you Wreck-it-Ralph!) but I still found a killer so there is hope.
I am a bit worried because I have seen hobbies absolutely destroyed by greed, and it seems this is just beginning to happen to ours, and the higher the prices, the less accessible this hobby becomes for anybody.
pimppride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:04:14 pm »

yea, I know what you mean, unfortunately in my opinion its not going to get any better, I hope I am wrong...

I have seen the exact same thing happening in the car restoration game, a few years ago in my world a VW 23 window bus sold at auction, setting a ridiculous world record of $239,000 after final sales & commissions total...

I was fortunate to look over this exact same bus that sold at the auction a week before at our largest VW show... it was a nice bus, but nothing special at all... it would cost $60,000-$70,000 tops and 8 weeks to recreate at my shop

now every rusty pos non running base bus is $10,000 plus or the owner thinks its worth that... were talking buses that were $300 to $1000 just a few years prior... its sprung up a whole new crop of day trade flippers... once unemployed with a litter scratch they put together, they sit behind the computer, scouring the internet for bus deals, driving state to state dragging them home and flipping them for a larger retail price, usually thousands more then they are worth...

now I can respect the hard work and the hustle, none of this effects me because customers bring the car to us to restore, long gone are the days of us providing the cars & the restorations... I just feel for my customers, when they drive up in the latest find and get an estimate, they quickly find out that its allot to do a proper restoration and that they overpaid for what they have purchased, because once they hear the restoration price, the mind turns into getting out of the project... that $12,500 bus that's barely driving... isn't really worth the $12,500... an for most that's hard to swallow...

I think were seeing a similar trend in the arcade hobby / industry... it could be the economy... it could be Obama's fault... ( joking ! )   enough babble for today...
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:19 pm »

$2k for Mad Planets is a little ballsy.
VertexGuy
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 03:06:23 am »

The price of certain games is getting absolutely insane. Guy on klov wants $2k for an unrestored mad planets and people think thats a good price
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=308729

I offered 390 for a splatterhouse pcb only.. somebody beat me out by 10 bux.
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »

In regards to the mad planets, the guy is looking to flip it. They even call him out on him buying it on ebay a few weeks earlier fixing it up and trying to get more out of it. Which i can respect being a salesman, but the thing is thats too much imo.

We were all discussing last night in the chat box current prices of games. I have two logical answers as to why the price is going up. 1) sellers see over priced auctions on ebay or local dealers and all they see is $_$ so they overprice it. 2) This is gonna sound crazy but "inflation" as the dollar devalues in this country costs go up not down right before hyper inflation. What i mean is everyone is trying to squeeze money not just out of greed but to pay bills and sometimes greed.

Arcade machines are the salesman's trifecta , there a collectable, there rather easy to sell when restored and the price is right, and lastly the seller normally doesn't need to ship it as the buyer comes to you and picks it up.

Add that to the other facts and it stands to reason that the discarded machines from the past would become suddenly more valuable as more and more decay they become harder to restore parts aren't as plentiful time and effort involved. Thats not even taking into account that people able to make EM games work are becoming much fewer and farther in between {nitch market anyone?}

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: