John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
July 04, 2024, 04:46:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arcade Addiction  (Read 2324 times)
tombutler

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2015, 11:37:25 pm »

What are your guys opinion on this? 

Do you think you could walk away from Arcade Collecting? 

Do you feel like checking Craigslist is something that you impulsively do multiple times a day without thinking?

Do you find yourself buying a game that you may not want to play because it is rare or a good ?

Do you feel like Arcade collecting is running your life?

If your spouse gave you an ultimatum and told you that you had to quit or they would leave you would you stop?

Is every hobby an addiction in your opinion?

I personally don't own any dedicated machines other than a two emulation machines that I have built myself so I thought I would get opinions from people that actually own them.
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:57 am »

I doubt I would walk away...

Checking the classified's does become an instinct.  I presently have NO room for any machines - nor do I have any desire to change any of mine - but I still look.

Buying because it was a - was my first cabinet, since then every purchase has been because it was on my MUST HAVE DEDICATED list.

Running my life?  No - It is a healthy and relatively inexpensive hobby.  The cabinets are bigger than baseball cards but smaller and cheaper than ticking out a mustang or camero!

My wife only pretends to hate my games, when I get a new one she can't wait to have a photo of it to show the guys at work!  They then gather around her and tell her she is the best wife and how their wives would never 'let them' get even ONE Arcade.

Every hobby can be an addiction - you just have to set limits.

1979 Atari Asteroids
1980 Midway Pac-Man (TOTAL Restoration Needed)
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1986 Atari Championship Sprint
1986 Williams Pin*Bot Pinball
1987 Atari Badlands
1988 Atari Tetris/19-1 Multi-Cade
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
2002 Hanabi Japanese Slot Machine
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:27:45 am »

I don't know if I can walk away from arcade collecting. I know I can slow down but for me the fixing part of the hobby is where i live and breath. I don't think I can stop wanting to fix old games.

I have craigslist on a 5 minute refresh with notifications on every city within 5 hours of me.

I don't buy a game just because its rare or a good . I have to want the game and it has to be a good .

Sometimes i do feel like it is. I made a lot of life decisions around the hobby including buying a house with enough room for a good sized arcade.

My wife is in the hobby as well so I don't have to worry about that.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:13:51 pm »

Could I walk away? Sure, with an arcade game strapped to my back after the divorce.... JK. Or am I? But seriously, if I had to, I could downsize... ok, fine. It's just a hobby, so yes, if the circumstances were such.

I check Craigslist everyday unless the wife says I am cut off....of course if there is a game she wants then I will look for it. Currently I have no room until the next stage of our basement is done.

I buy games that are cheap and that I want. Sure, I want a Tapper, but I'm not paying $1000. But if it popped up for $300 you better believe I'm going to go get it. I'm still new into this hobby so I'm at the stage where I am just trying to get games and will take the free and broken game in hopes of getting it working.

Arcade collecting is improving my life and keeps me at home. Seriously. Sure I go out and get games, but prior to this I could be found at the bar 2-3 times a week. Now I'm there once or twice!

If my spouse game me the ultimatum...well at first it felt like I was getting one after every other game pickup. Then, like Netropolis, my wife likes to tell people at work what I'm doing and then somehow earns the credit for it....what the heck?! But if she gave me a serious ultimatum, we would come to a compromise. I understand that I will never fit 40 games in my basement....well I could, just not with her in my life. I will try to make a modest game room out of 10-13 games and rotate them as needed.

Every hobby in my life has come and gone. I keep tabs in some of them and others I let go completely. Video game collecting has been going on for almost 20 years. Sure it hasn't always been arcade games, that's just the next level. Other hobby's like RC airplanes have come and gone pretty quickly. It was fun and I think about it, but I'm not rushing out to buy another setup.

For the record, we have all dedicated cabinets for: Ms. Pacman, Avengers, Final Lap, Pole Position, NBA Jam, Space Invaders (cocktail), (cocktail), Virtua Cop, Atari Badlands
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 05:32:24 am »

Well, in my case its not yet needed! But you never now whats next... I have sold everything once, before moving to Japan. But now am back on track with a small collection that fit in to my small apartment. But If I would need to move back, than I would need to sell a big part,,,,

Do you feel like checking Craigslist is something that you impulsively do multiple times a day without thinking?
No,  2-3 times a week I do a check in YA here in Japan. That s it.. Yahoo Auction Japan,

Do you find yourself buying a game that you may not want to play because it is rare or a good ?
No, I only buy things I feel that I need in my collection. Things that I play, and enjoy.

No, but its a important part of my life.. It makes me relax and feel joy.

If your spouse gave you an ultimatum and told you that you had to quit or they would leave you would you stop?
No, my spouse is aware of my hobby, she also enjoy playing games time to time..

It dont need it to be. I am also a a DJ, own 3 deck and a big collection of DnB music. My Arcade collection is also a part of everything, but its not a addiction.. not for me..!
I think i t depends on person to person..!
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:11:13 pm »

What are your guys opinion on this? 

I personally don't own any dedicated machines other than a two emulation machines that I have built myself so I thought I would get opinions from people that actually own them.

I can walk away from it , but id keep a few machines around for guest to play.
My only addictions are money, cars  and pussy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: