John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 28, 2024, 06:05:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ms. Pac-Man - no sound, hum coming from monitor, looks like 3's  (Read 4124 times)
WindowsLM

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:09 am »

Well I just received my new machine and of course it couldn't just be plugged in and instantly work everything lights up the marquee the coin lightbulbs and the monitor comes on but there's a hum coming from it and no sound at all.

I took a look at the fuses and one of them looks like it might be blown but I'm about to go by a voltmeter to verify.  Also it looks like somebody did some solder work on the harness and I don't know if I can pull it off without damaging something to try to reseat some connections.

The listing said newly rebuilt monitor and it had pictures of it working.

Attached are a few pictures of the inside.  Any tips or suggestions is appreciated.

EDIT: can't add pictures from my phone very well, and it looks like it flipped a couple of the pictures :/

Image 1

image 2

Image 3
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:01:23 am by WindowsLM » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:00:35 am »

Well I just received my new machine and of course it couldn't just be plugged in and instantly work everything lights up the marquee the coin lightbulbs and the monitor comes on but there's a hum coming from it and no sound at all.

I took a look at the fuses and one of them looks like it might be blown but I'm about to go by a voltmeter to verify.  Also it looks like somebody did some solder work on the harness and I don't know if I can pull it off without damaging something to try to reseat some connections.

The listing said newly rebuilt monitor and it had pictures of it working.

Attached are a few pictures of the inside.  Any tips or suggestions is appreciated.

Check your fuses then check your voltages. I show in one of my vids how to test a Pac-Man's voltages.
WindowsLM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:58:33 pm »

Everything looked ok, reseated the fuses and cleaned them off a bit and it came right up.

The monitor needs to be adjust a tad still do to a minor wave in the monitor and a small overrun at the top but decent picture.

Might have to replace the joystick because it's a bit too loose for my liking but overall I can't complain.

John,

Do you know if there are different builds for Ms. Pac-Man that the person before me might have burned off?  This is the speedy version.  But it is playing like the 'hard' difficulty settings on a 20th or 25th anniversary cabinet.  I couldn't find too much information on it though.

jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:11:43 am »

Might have to replace the joystick because it's a bit too loose for my liking but overall I can't complain.

My joystick was sloppy as well, picked up the proper grommet from eBay and it's awesome now. I think Mikes Arcade may have them as well. The original joystick is quite nice so they all say, do what you can to save it.
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »

Do you know if there are different builds for Ms. Pac-Man that the person before me might have burned off?  This is the speedy version.  But it is playing like the 'hard' difficulty settings on a 20th or 25th anniversary cabinet.  I couldn't find too much information on it though.

There is a difficulty jumper on the board. you can check if it's been shorted to make the game harder, here is a photo from the manual

If it has been shorted you can remove the solder to restore the game to default difficulty, if it's not shorted, then there may indeed be a different rom set on the board

lacerta1974

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:57:46 am »

John... Do you know which video in your series shows you checking pac man voltages?  I just picked up a ms pac man that was working for 2 days really nicely then stopped all of a sudden.  All I get is a quick flash on the monitor then no sound or game play.  Started checking the ps, fuses, power to the board, etc.  This is my first time really doing this. 
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 11:19:52 am »

John... Do you know which video in your series shows you checking pac man voltages?  I just picked up a ms pac man that was working for 2 days really nicely then stopped all of a sudden.  All I get is a quick flash on the monitor then no sound or game play.  Started checking the ps, fuses, power to the board, etc.  This is my first time really doing this. 

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQEXAnsEQ9o
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: