John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:10:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bad power supply?  (Read 1579 times)
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:28:52 am »

Hi guys,

I got the donkey kong power supply and little adapter board from arcadeshop. I plugged it in and powered on with the monitor connected but not the board. When I put a probe on ground then touch either of the AC terminals I get ~53 volts. I switch the multi meter to DC and touch ground then +12, -5, etc, and get 0.00. I have no light red or otherwise on the power supply.

I did try with/without the board and all I get is raster on the monitor, nothing else. Am I missing something obvious or probably a bad power supply?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:56:01 am »

Hi guys,

I got the donkey kong power supply and little adapter board from arcadeshop. I plugged it in and powered on with the monitor connected but not the board. When I put a probe on ground then touch either of the AC terminals I get ~53 volts. I switch the multi meter to DC and touch ground then +12, -5, etc, and get 0.00. I have no light red or otherwise on the power supply.

I did try with/without the board and all I get is raster on the monitor, nothing else. Am I missing something obvious or probably a bad power supply?

Could it be you're testing it wrong? Are you sure it's getting AC?? Where did you tap into?

Verify you have voltage coming in. Put the multimeter on AC and test the AC terminals on the power supply make sure you are getting around 110V AC.
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:31:29 pm »

Oh yeah you are right, 117.5 volts across the ac terminals, the monitor gets juice and lights up. However I don't get anything on any of the dc terminals.
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:42:33 am »

I figured it out.. got a nice happy red light on the power supply without the wire harness plugged in. The wires in the harness are crossed and screwed up.. DK still doesn't work but it seems the psu is ok at least. Not really sure what to do with the wire harness.
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:15:19 am »

So it looks like when the game was modified for popeye the operator cut up the wire harness and added a couple molex amp connectors. I'm thinking if I cut those out and reconnect the wiring 1:1 then I should be in business for DK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: