John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 29, 2024, 06:26:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atari XO Football  (Read 2957 times)
squireg

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:43:33 am »

Hello, recently found John's youtube channel and watched most of your videos.  I'm hoping someone on this forum can assist me.  I have an Atari x/o football that I am restoring.  This machine has a b&w raster monitor.  I got a cap kit from Bob Roberts and installed everything and it worked pretty well for about a week.  Last night when I turn on the machine I get scrambled garbage on the screen.  Can anyone give me any guidance on what I might need to check?  Is this a monitor board issue or a pcb board issue?  Thanks for the help.
squireg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:34:45 pm »

Follow up:  Monitor is a Wells Gardner 22v1001.  Also, I can hear the game playing but as I said can't see anything but garbage on the screen.  Same in test mode. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:02:34 pm by squireg » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:21:48 pm »

take a photo of the 'garbage' it could be a sync issue or a PCB issue.  I won't know for sure until I see it myself.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
squireg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:36:13 pm »

Updated info.  I was able to adjust the vertical hold and horizontal hold on the monitor board and the image came back.  The problem now is that the image is squished or elongated and does not fill up the entire screen from side to side.  I am attaching a pic.  It is a little hard to tell from the pic but you can see that the top of the screen is different from the bottom half.  I am attaching a pic in next post.

Also, I now get a message on the test screen that ROM A is bad.  Can you give me any guidance on how I can replace this rom chip?  Thanks.

squireg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 12:40:23 pm »

Ian, could not figure out how to put up a pic here so I emailed it to you.  THanks
squireg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:18:19 am »

Thank you Ian for the advice and private e-mails.  Wanted to let you know that the vertical pot we talked about was correct and my Wells Gardner 22v1001 screen is now filled up with the beautiful sight of Atari X's and O/s playing black and white football.  Game on.

P.S., test mode also now shows Rom A is good.  Weird.  Maybe I'll just reseat the chips.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: