John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
July 04, 2024, 05:51:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Arcade Stories....  (Read 1162 times)
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:51:14 pm »

So this week I started to think back to some of my favorite memories of playing arcade games in the wild, I thought It might be fun to share some arcade stories from the old days.

Here is one of my faves it happened during my mid teens.

My mother used to work at a local Thrifty (drugstore) and they were in the same shopping center as a family owned Lamppost Pizza, Lots of arcade games and amazing food, Thrifty's management always threw parties there for the families of the workers and I always attended to enjoy the pizza and the arcade games. I also used to pick my mother up and drop her off at work, and when I did I would often stop in, get a pizza and play the UMK3 there, it was a real dedicated unit when they first hit the scene, we are talking right off the assembly line, it was gorgeous! anyway, I always used to choose Ermac as soon as he appeared on the line up.
I got really good with him, and began to get pretty smug that I was unbeatable....
There were Security Guards that worked in the shopping center and they often stopped in to eat and relax during breaks, I didn't know most of them well, but one was always playing games there, I remember one day this dude challenged me to a game of UMK3 I figured I was set, grabbed Ermac and was ready..... to promptly have my tail handed to me by the guy.

He had chosen Human Smoke, A character at the time few knew was selectable, the trick wasn't even in magazines yet as I recall.
As you can imagine I was humbled very fast.

The guy was actually pretty gracious about it, he showed me how to select him and how to do his combos specials and fatalities.

The Lamppost Pizza closed, Thrifty was absorbed by Rite Aid and the parties ceased but to this day, Human Smoke is my character on UMK3, and I always smile whenever I get to hand newbies their tail, just like I had once had done to me on that day.
VertexGuy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:37:46 am »

Uh,, had to been on colecovisions launch date.
Me , my brother and my friend all walked to toys R us to get the colecovision and stopped
at the arcade on the way home.
Mountain Dew and pretzel rods, tokens and a fresh new game console to play when we got home.

Beating Dragons lair on one credit with a crowd of people watching back in the mid 80's
MongWinWin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:45 am »

I have plenty of information I believe that there is a lot of information on this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: