John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
September 28, 2024, 06:32:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Idaho  (Read 1208 times)
ybr

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »

I graduated high school in '86.  That put me at a pretty good age to enjoy most of the classics as they appeared new and fresh on the arcade floor.  I remember gravitating toward the less popular games like Space Firebird, Space Fury, Fantasy, Venture, etc.  I dunno, maybe it was just because the wait was shorter and I sort of liked 'em all.

In any case, whether we were finally up to bat on Tron or alone in a corner playing Phoenix, we were almost always having a blast.  I really miss those times.  Just got done reading "The Final Day at Westfield Arcade" too.  *sniff*

We had a few nice arcades in San Diego that my mom would take us to back in the early '80s.  There was a place in Pacific Beach called Mr. Bill's.  And my favorite arcade of all time, The Yellow Brick Road, at the UTC mall above the ice skating rink.  That place was pure magic.

Speaking of favorite arcades, I now live about 15 minutes away from Grinkers.  What an awesome place that is!  In fact, I was just there today with my daughters having a little Mappy tournament (and getting my ass kicked).  Looking forward to Grinkfest.

John, your videos are awesome.  I appreciate your enthusiasm, expertise, and willingness to be honest and keep the camera rolling even when you're unsure about something or making a mistake.  Your commitment to showing the good, the bad, and the ugly is what might give a newb like me the confidence to restore my own cabinet one day.  I've been trying to keep up with the podcast too. Hilarious.
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:33:22 pm »

welcome to the forum

please do keep us updated on any big changes that happen at Grinkers.

John is an Arcade Machine Hero!

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: